Skip to main content

Recognition

I was leaving a hospital, after visiting someone, when I saw a man walking with his wife, their arms intertwined. She had a tired and tense expression in her eyes and helped him walk. Exhausted too, he walked. He was wearing blue hospital pijamas, the uniform of the near dead, of the kind no one wants to look at, since they remind us all that they can fit anyone.


I passed by and his eyes had an intense brightness. One that only those who had walked similar steps could understand. "Good afternoon! It's nice to go out, take a walk! Isn't it? He recognized me by looking into my eyes and smiled. "I've been here for thirty days. Last week they allowed me walk around the hospital for the first time. Today I took the chance and asked if I could do it outside. They let me!" He smiled again and took a quick look up to the open blue. 

 I felt a little tightness in my chest, mind and heart went back in time. Blue pijamas, unsure steps, one foot at a time, until the window, through which rays of Sun  shone in. The realization of the beauty of a blooming tree, the wet green grass after the months of draught in Brasilia, the blue sky, after uncountable intravenous accesses, catheters, vitals monitoring equipment, tests, darkness and death. The warmth of the Sun on your skin, the realisation of nature's life going on randomly and the hope to, one day, again, be a part of it.
"How wonderful!" I told him. "You know,  I've spent two months in a hospital. I know how it is to look at the sky like that!"
He smiled a large smile, his eyes smiling as well. I said that, but there was no need! I know he knew it already. He had recognized me!
"All the best!"
"Likewise!"

I turned around and resumed my walk. I felt my legs naturally striding, my body softly swaying,  the wind on my hair. Walking amidst that nature, that sky, all that I, once, looked from afar, with shadows of pain, eyes of enchantment and a small drop of hope. I felt his eyes following me, leaning on his wife, he observed me walking into the nature, into the red and blue shades of the sunset and he thought: "Who knows, maybe I too will... someday..."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The kind of person who lights candles

  I am the kind of person who lights candles. This is now, not then. it is a recently acquired habit, one that has done me well. I light up candles every day. In the beginning of each class I set up an intention, I focus and I light the candle. I ask myself to be the light, to be the container, not the conduit. I am now the kind of person Who walks barefoot on the grass of my backyard and lets herself shower in the improbable rain of Brasilia in May.  The four elements rest now on my desk making my therapist smile when told about them, making her proud of myself and my journey. I am the kind of person that feels the connection with the elements, and nature and the universe, so new. I am again a newborn being. And it is not the first time, I have once died and it’s no secret. This time, however, I did not have to die. I had only to shed the old skin, the one who served me no more. I am still the kind of person who looks in the mirror and who wonders who this new being is. This new self

No espelho

  Olhei hoje para o espelho e me vi mais serena, me enxerguei com mais leveza. Não que esteja de fato mais leve, eu acho. Ou será que estou? Tenho ainda infinitas incertezas e dúvidas aos milhares, mas a imagem que me olhou de volta do espelho, não me olha com tristeza, dor pânico.     A imagem que vejo nesse espelho é de     calma, no olhar certa paz, talvez de se entender humana, imperfeita e aceitar essa condição.     Aqui, deste lado que estou, me observando no espelho, sinto ainda o coração encolher como se uma mão o quisesse esmagar. Encolhe-se para sobreviver e expande-se em seguida. Ao encolher-se, a respiração dá uma pausa e uma bolha de cristal sobe em refluxo, pausando ali no meio da goela. Assim que pode, o coração retorna a seu pulsar, seu ir e vir. Permanecem ali as dúvidas, as exigências, as demandas, mas também os desejos de só ser, irresponsavelmente ser e atender a cada quimera. Porque a vida é curta! A vida é sopro!    E o outro? Os outros? Todos os outros?  É precis

Sobre os artistas - Para Bruno Sandes

  Créditos da imagem: Jacobs School of Music Marketing and Publicity