Skip to main content

Crumbling youth

While contemplating the crumbling of my youth, I think of songs which once made sense. Words expressing the pointless sorrows.
Drums and guitars, never too loud or too insistent, telling me to recoil or expand. Keyboards providing me shelter or direction.

The heart that hoped feels battered.The rain falling outside sounds, on the roof, like fire burning the Cerrado. It will probably bring new uninvited plants to our garden. Like the Heliconia that months ago was just a single leaf sprouting across the red dirt. That was right before we hired that gardener who killed the grass. We still hope it will miraculously grow green once more. I don’t know. I have no more money, disposition or time to seriously think about it. I have no time.

I would like to see the next intruder blooming in the garden though. I wish for something as unique as the Heliconia. If that is in fact what it is. I wish for something beautiful.

I breathe with difficulty and nothing has ever been  as I had planned. Has it? And maybe we should not watch so many romantic movies. Maybe we should not listen to so many love songs. I’ve listened to countless love songs. I am to blame. I remember to have loved holding hands and being pulled near a body who wished no distance. I had almost forgotten all that. I vow not to listen to love songs anymore.

I feel the lump in my throat. It has not been there for quite a while, but it’s back. It seems to vanish when I swallow the spit in my mouth. It moves up again and remains there obstructing the passage of air. Now it’s late, very late, and all is silence. I write about the crumbling of my youth on the touchscreen of an IPhone which will still be here even when I cease to be.

Comments

  1. Do not wish intruders to grow in your garden. They're usually weed, unwanted and fast growing. They destroy our gardens, and we don't want them because they don't need us.

    A beautiful garden needs nurturing and care. So don't wish for anything to grow, but the things you actually want.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The kind of person who lights candles

  I am the kind of person who lights candles. This is now, not then. it is a recently acquired habit, one that has done me well. I light up candles every day. In the beginning of each class I set up an intention, I focus and I light the candle. I ask myself to be the light, to be the container, not the conduit. I am now the kind of person Who walks barefoot on the grass of my backyard and lets herself shower in the improbable rain of Brasilia in May.  The four elements rest now on my desk making my therapist smile when told about them, making her proud of myself and my journey. I am the kind of person that feels the connection with the elements, and nature and the universe, so new. I am again a newborn being. And it is not the first time, I have once died and it’s no secret. This time, however, I did not have to die. I had only to shed the old skin, the one who served me no more. I am still the kind of person who looks in the mirror and who wonders who this new being is. This new self

No espelho

  Olhei hoje para o espelho e me vi mais serena, me enxerguei com mais leveza. Não que esteja de fato mais leve, eu acho. Ou será que estou? Tenho ainda infinitas incertezas e dúvidas aos milhares, mas a imagem que me olhou de volta do espelho, não me olha com tristeza, dor pânico.     A imagem que vejo nesse espelho é de     calma, no olhar certa paz, talvez de se entender humana, imperfeita e aceitar essa condição.     Aqui, deste lado que estou, me observando no espelho, sinto ainda o coração encolher como se uma mão o quisesse esmagar. Encolhe-se para sobreviver e expande-se em seguida. Ao encolher-se, a respiração dá uma pausa e uma bolha de cristal sobe em refluxo, pausando ali no meio da goela. Assim que pode, o coração retorna a seu pulsar, seu ir e vir. Permanecem ali as dúvidas, as exigências, as demandas, mas também os desejos de só ser, irresponsavelmente ser e atender a cada quimera. Porque a vida é curta! A vida é sopro!    E o outro? Os outros? Todos os outros?  É precis

Sobre os artistas - Para Bruno Sandes

  Créditos da imagem: Jacobs School of Music Marketing and Publicity